Practicum Optoelectronic II
(Mr. Mertshet Tsegaye, M.Sc.)
A registration in HIS or OKA is mandatory and urgently required for the participation in one of our labs. The registration should be done right in the beginning of each semester!
The fundamentals of semiconductor lasers and the optical properties of resonator structures.
Characterization of semiconductor lasers.
- Understanding the characteristics of semiconductor lasers
- Horizontal cavity DFB lasers
- Electrical pumping
- Optical output power
- Optical modes in diode lasers
- Wavelength shift due to temperature change and injection current variation
What you will gain from the practicum
- You will learn the fundamentals of semiconductor lasers – how they work, what influences their characteristics and what makes a laser beam different from the beam of a flashlight. It gives quick understanding about laser-based novel applications such as optical communication.
- Valuable documentation of the results.
- Team-based working experience in a modern research environment.
The student team is supervised by Mr. Tsegaye, who is responsible for the coordination of the practicum for all participating students. The working schedule for the experiment is flexible.
Experimental modules such as a laser diode, sample stage, an optical spectrum analyzer and PC are assembled to measure laser characteristics. The laser diode will be characterized as a function of injection current and temperature. The student team will measure the optical output power, optical modes in diode lasers and the wavelength shift due to temperature change of the laser diodes. The measured data will be analyzed and documented.
Course prerequisiteThose who have attended or are attending Optoelectronics I and Optoelectronics II lectures are invited to participate in the practicum. Physics and Nanostructure Science students are asked to contact the supervisor individually.
- H. Hillmer , S. Hansmann, and T. Kusserow Semiconductor lasers. In: F. Träger (Hrsg.), Springer Handbook of Lasers and Optics, Springer Verlag, pp. 695-726 (2007).
- S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd Edition (1981).
- B. Mroziewicz, B. Mroziewicz, and W. Nakwaski, Physics of Semiconductor Lasers, North-Holland, Amsterdam (1991).
- G. P. Agrawal and N. K. Dutta, Long Wavelength Semiconductor Lasers, Van Nostrand (1986).
- L. A. Coldren and S. W. Corzine, Diode Lasers and Photonic Integrated Circuits, John Wiley, New York (1995).
- T. Suhara, Semiconductor laser fundamentals, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (2004).
- Elektrotechnik Diplom I und II, Abschluss 14, (14048), ECE-Studiengang, Abschluss 88, Mechatronik, Informatik (Bachelor und Master)
- Wahlveranstaltung für das Nachrichtentechn. Praktikum I, II oder III
First meeting (Kick-off)
Kick-off-meeting is going to be on Friday 28th April at 2pm.
Please come to INA Heinrich-Plett-Straße 40, 3rd floor, room 3107.
Registration for the practicum
Please register in HISLSF until Friday 28th April, 2017.
Note that the deadline for the enrollment for the examination in OKA or HIS is possible until 7 days before this deadline.
This semester registration is possible starting from 1st of April, 2017.